The Department of Food Technology carries out research in the following thematic areas
- Fatty acids characterization and determination of antioxidant vitamins in fish oils from tropical freshwaters.
- Pesticide particularly, chlorinated and chlorophosphorus residues, in fish oils from tropical freshwaters
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and antioxidant vitamin sources in Uganda for nutraceuticals; Exploring insects, plants and animal sources
- Enzymatic processing of banana wine and juice
- Pilot packaging of fresh vacuum sealed matooke (FREVASEMA) from Uganda for exports to overseas markets
- Characterization of lactic acid bacteria and listeria species in traditionally fermented milks produced in Uganda
- Developing an emergency food ration from locally available foods in response to disaster preparedness.
- Assessment of microbiological and nutritional quality, and shelf life of unpasteurized juices.
- Rum production from fermented molasses